Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Tell Us What You Really Think, Mark...



Another Mark Driscoll scandal is lighting up the blogosphere.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have strong opinions about Mark Driscoll, pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle.  This is due in part to him being a misogynistic, homophobic, arrogant bully and in part because he propagates bad (no, make that destructive) theology and in part because he can rock a fauxhawk like I'll never be able to.  If what I've just written sounds a bit ...testy... it is probably because I just finished reading some of the dozens of Driscoll's writings that he placed on an Internet forum using a pseudonym.  His screeds, which have recently come to light, were written several years ago (when Mars Hill was already a large church) and posted using the moniker William Wallace II.  They are vile and rage-filled and disturbing.  Certainly not worthy of a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

A couple of lessons come to mind:  (1) Nothing put on the Internet ever goes away.  Ever.  (2) It can be scary what can come out of a person when they don't think they'll be held accountable.  (3) The many people who have expressed concern about Driscoll's behaviors over the years were spot on.  (4) Perhaps neo-Calvinism does not bear fruit in keeping with Galatians 5:22-23.

I too have strong opinions (pro-women, anti-war, in favor of LGBTQ inclusion, etc.), but I'm willing to own them--publicly and under my own name.

If you wish to subject yourself to Driscoll's unfiltered thoughts, Matthew Paul Turner's blog is a good place to start from:
http://matthewpaulturner.com/2014/07/29/mark-driscolls-pussified-nation/

1 Comments:

Blogger Omar said...

Wow. I hadn't seen this yet. I have always had difficulty with Driscoll and his hyper-masculine theology, but this far surpasses anything I had seen before. This man needs serious help. I will try to pray for him, but man . . . he doesn't make it easy, does he?

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home