Saturday, December 23, 2006

Debating with a purpose

The overall purpose of human communication is -- or should be -- reconciliation. It should ultimately serve to lower or remove the walls and barriers of misunderstanding that unduly separate us human beings one from another. - M. Scott Peck


I like to debate; primarily about theological matters. My favorite medium for debate is Internet forums. Forums suite my preference for using the written word as my foil, rather than the spoken. When writing, I can choose my words more carefully, mull over possible plans of attack, take time to check the factuality of my assertions, try out different approaches in rough draft form, revise, rephrase, review and, finally, release. Then wait for a response.

I've debated entrenched atheists on the historicity of the Bible. I've debated an Orthodox apologist on apostolic succession (which I think is hooey). I've debated the role of women in ministry (for the record, I believe that women should be able to do anything men do in ministry). I've engaged in countless debates on eschatology, speaking in tongues, interpretations of various doctrines and Biblical texts, etc.

Generally I do pretty well. I'm usually able to gain the upper hand on my opponent and watch them retreat or acquiesce. Sometimes we end in a stalemate.

Sometimes my motives are good. As in the case of women in ministry, my desire is to educate and advocate on behalf of the marginalized.

Sometimes my motives aren't so good. At those times I'm really just bored and looking for a schoolyard fight.

Sometimes I debate to stand up for a belief that is important to me. Sometimes I do it to test the structural integrity of a position I've adopted. Sometimes I just want to show off.

This is a confession. Not so often is my goal reconciliation. Advocacy perhaps; education maybe, crude victory sometimes; but rarely reconciliation. And yet, Christ is all about reconciliation. I'm convicted about my heart in this matter. This is one more way in which I desire to be a follower of Jesus. I'm going to try to be more cognizant of the reasons why I enter into any particular debate. I'm going to endeavor to advocate, educate and yes, even, tussle; but with a goal towards understanding the other, bridging the gaps and bringing reconciliation.

Christ was all about reconciliation, yet the Gospels record His share of heated exchanges. Perhaps it's more a question of motive than method.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home