Friday, April 18, 2008

For The Bible Tells Me So - the movie

Carla and I just watched an excellent documentary entitled "For The Bible Tells Me So". We both found it deeply moving. I highly recommend it, with the caveat that you may be challenged; as it deals with homosexuality. But it is well worth it. It provoked Carla and I to have a great discussion about what we've been taught as Christians, not only about homosexuality, but also about what's important to God. I've come to the conclusion that the overarching message in the Bible is that God wants people to love each other; to accept each other; to seek peace and justice; to care for those who are marginalized (by poverty, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, etc.). As Evangelical Christians the focus instead has tended to be on personal behavior and exclusion of those who don't measure up. It's missing the point; sort of like missing the forest for the trees.

Lately I've been reading a lot of accounts of early Quakers and the horrible abuses they endured at the hands of the government (both English and Colonial), the church (Catholic, Anglican and Protestant), the general populace and their own families. It seems that in the late 1600's, to declare oneself a Quaker was about the same as someone in the 1950's declaring themselves gay. The general attitude against the Quakers was based largely on either ignorance or intentional mis-characterization on the part of those who opposed them.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that my role here on earth isn't to pass judgment on anyone. My role is to love them.

I'd love to show this movie with a gathering of friends or perhaps at church. Like the Lonnie Frisbee movie, it would surely lead to some great dialog and soul-searching; at least among those willing to give it's message consideration.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your house is a little far for me to go for "movie night", but I'll try to rent it myself. Thanks for being open to exploring your feelings on this topic.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home