Sunday, April 10, 2011

An atheist reaction to Christian Universalism

Chad Holtz became a nationwide news item, much to his surprise, when he was fired from his pastoral position at a North Carolina Methodist church for his beliefs in Christian Universalism (he had actually been expressing these beliefs for a few years, but things came to a head as a result of the whole Rob Bell "Love Wins" controversy).

As a result of his sudden and unexpected notoriety, Holtz has received invitations for speaking engagements and interviews, including an offer to be a guest (via telephone) on a television show put on by the American Atheist Network. They wanted to hear more about this idea of inclusive Christianity. Holtz agreed to be on the show and was treated cordially.

The next day, Holtz received an email from the host of the show, Ernest. Here is a snippet:

"The video will be up in a few days and a podcast is going up today. Listen please don’t think that your time was waisted. Atheist across the world have emailed me asking how can he forgive hitler? Can it be that you as a inclusion believer have more love than all the hell believing people combined? One comment nearly tore me up, ” Svetatheist, I am in Sweden I am an atheist, I have never heard of inclusion, Chad shows more love than the hate filled Koran burning people. Ernest, Is this really in the gospels. I was happy as a Christian, but hell frightens me, if everyone goes to heaven then Christ will not fail if this is true I may no longer stay an atheist”.

As I said there remains in my heart a longing for my inclusion friends. Reports are coming in from across the world the show was riveting."

There was a period of time when I was actively involved in dialogs and debates with hardcore atheists, via a web discussion forum called "The Raving Atheist." What I found was that what the majority of atheists were really rejecting was the form of Christianity they had encountered (typically fundamentalism or Catholicism). Many had been deeply wounded by the church. The general view was "If that's a representation of what God is like, then I want nothing to do with Him!" Of course, what they were rejecting was not God but a caricature--a distortion. But when people get a glimpse of what God is really like--His inclusiveness and love, they are drawn to Him. As Gandhi said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Lord, save us from those who claim to represent You, yet spread intolerence, ignorance, fear and hurt. Show us, Lord, how to be agents of grace, mercy, compassion, inclusion and love. Show us--and enable us--to represent who you are more accurately. They will know You by our love.

You can read more about Chad's experience on the American Atheist Network television show, and even watch the episode, here: http://chadholtz.net/2011/04/06/the-scandal-of-heaven/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home