Sunday, August 28, 2011

Waiting

I used to think that following Jesus was like being a guided missile: I needed to act; to do something; to get moving, and eventually the guidance system would kick in. As a result of this approach, I spent years going in circles and also caused a fair bit of destruction (as missiles tend to do).

Later I learned to be still; to wait; to listen for God and then to simply be obediant and faithful to whatever God put in front of me. I began to notice an interesting paradox: The more I turned inward and waited on God, the more outwardly aware I became.

I think it is this same paradoxical principle that accounts for the fact that the Quakers--the quiet, contemplative Quakers--were so often at the forefront of social actions for the benefit of mankind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A great illustration. Thank you.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

It's like a "dot-to-dot" Christianity: You don't know what the whole picture will look like. You are just faithful to the next step that is before you.

May God bless us all as we wait for the next step.
Patty

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home