Monday, July 02, 2012

Gulley on Salvation

"This is salvation, if I may use that term, to the Quaker. We don’t believe God becomes present in our lives when we go to an altar and invite Jesus into our hearts. We don’t believe our kneeling at altar changed God’s mind about us. That belief is 19th Century Revivalism, not Quakerism. Nor do we believe God becomes present in our lives when we’re baptized in water by someone the Church has authorized to do that. Water can do wondrous things, but it is not a magic potion. We believe God has always been present in us. We believe authentic spirituality is about becoming more aware of God’s presence in us and others."

(Source: The Quaker Basics, Part 1, by Phillip Gulley. Phillip Gulley is a Quaker pastor and co-author of the books If God Is Love and If Grace Is True)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Michael L said...

I have been reading your blog since I came across it a few days ago. I spent 24 years of my life as an Evangelical Christian, 10 of those years in the Vineyard movement. In 2006, I left the Christian faith, but as I read your blog, I am liking what I read.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Daniel P. (Danny) Coleman said...

Thanks Michael and welcome. Blessings on your continuing journey with God!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home