Friday, August 17, 2012

Thoughts on turning 50

Today, on my 50th birthday, I decided to post some ruminations on what I've learned so far...

* I would not want to go back to being 18--unless I could take with me the wisdom and knowledge and patience I have accumulated over time.

* Looking back on my life so far, the things I regret the most are the times I treated other people badly.

* I am finally aware of who I am and of what my gifts and talents and abilities are. I only wish I had not spent so many years trying to be someone else.

* The question often isn't "Can I achieve this?" but "Am I willing to put in the work and sacrifice necessary to achieve this?"

* I am adjusting to being referred to in social settings as "the older gentleman." I even kind of like it.

* It never hurts to ask. Or to try.

* I disagree with John Mellencamp's lyric that "Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone." The thrill of living isn't gone, it is just a different type of thrill.

* Spending 20-30 minutes a day meditating in stillness and silence has gradually changed me in profound ways.

* "Stuff" really doesn't matter all that much. Relationships matter. Having a purpose matters.

* The most valuable lesson I have learned is gratitude. Every day is a gift.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen - my thoughts exactly.
Kay

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home