Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Jesus said, "Come to me you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." We Christians often dwell on Jesus as a source of great comfort and rest for our souls--and he very much is. But, I must confess, Jesus also sometimes comes to me as a source of great *dis-comfort* and *un-rest*. As a white, heterosexual, educated, healthy, middle-class, middle-aged, American male--what is "weary and heavy-laden" to me often comes under the heading of "First World Problems." In the culture and geographic zone in which I live, I realize that I am ensconced deep in the safe center. But Jesus likes to hang out on the margins, with the marginalized and imperiled people. And he calls me to join him there. This "holy agitation" from the Spirit is disconcerting and discomforting and unrestful. And yet, I find that as I take the risk of following Jesus and surrendering to God's agenda, I do find both peace and purpose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home