Wednesday, January 14, 2015























"I look upon George Fox rather as a practical than as a doctrinal man, and as experimentally carrying out in his own life the work of the Spirit of God rather than as being a creed-maker, or as fashioning formulae or framing propositions to which any man might be required to subscribe.  I suppose that Fox would object to your own creed.  I have the notion that Fox would object to any creed, as a creed; and that even if he agreed to what was laid down, he would object to its being laid down at all.  I think he would say, 'No, these things may be true enough, but, lest by any means this creed should be used to bind another man's conscience, I will not agree to it; I believe it and receive it, but I will not subscribe to it, lest it should become, as all creeds do become in process of time, mere dead letters and instruments of tyranny.'"

-- Charles Haddon Spurgeon, "George Fox": An Address Delivered to the Society of Friends Nov. 6th, 1866

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home