Thursday, October 22, 2015


I drive to and from work up and down Highway 99 in Seattle. It is a business thoroughfare with traffic lights, but is still quicker than the Interstate during rush hour. I tend to settle into my lane and stay there for the 20 mile commute--average speed about 35 miles per hour. I use it as an opportunity to practice mindfulness. Inevitably, on nearly every drive, I'll encounter some impatient soul bobbing and weaving from lane to lane, tailgating, cutting people off and generally being an ass in order to get ahead. Just as inevitably, several miles later I'll creep up to a red light next to that same impatient soul who passed me with a huff and a flourish earlier. 

There's a lesson in there somewhere...

-DC

1 Comments:

Blogger Marni said...

I have noticed this before, too. Sometimes I've been that "impatient soul" ... Maybe not to the extent you described, I try very hard not to be an ass, but still, agitated. Perhaps we're on our path no matter how we try to resist it; it's time to let go and go with the flow!

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home