Monday, October 10, 2016

I've been reflecting for the last couple of days about the Trump audio scandal, and particularly about the excuse that it was just "locker-room talk." 

When I was a young man, I played in bar bands and lived the "sex and drugs and rock & roll" lifestyle. This typically entailed a bunch of guys living and traveling together in tight quarters, spending their evenings at nightclubs and parties, and often preoccupied with sexual conquest. There was plenty of "locker room talk": dirty jokes, sexual braggadocio, etc. I don't recall anyone making claims quite as predatory as Trump's boasts, but it may well have occurred.

But here's the thing: we were 18, 19, 20. We were "lost boys" intentionally living an anti-social lifestyle. We were not 59-year-old married men with children. Even back then, at our most crude, if a 59-year-old man were hanging out with us saying the things Trump said in that audio, I think we would have been creeped out.

By my early-20's, I had outgrown all of that. It seems to me that Trump never did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home