Thursday, December 14, 2017



"I have had a great deal of work in interreligious dialogue and often talk with people who say they used to be Christian but are now practicing Buddhism. Very often they say, 'Oh, only now through my practicing of Buddhism I have discovered the spiritual riches that were in my former Christian tradition.' To me it doesn’t make any difference what label you put on it, as long as one discovers the spiritual riches and lives a deep spiritual life, but why did they not discover it in the first place? First of course, familiarity breeds contempt. That is to a certain extent true, but it’s also a fact that the Catholic tradition and also a good many Protestant denominations put too little emphasis on the meditative, the contemplative mystic aspects. But they are there. They are at the very heart of every tradition."

-- Brother David Steindl-Rast
The Gospel of Gratitude According to Brother David Steindl-Rast


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home