Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Writing a book...

I've decided to try to write a book. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time (actually, in High School my goal was to become a journalist but I got sidetracked by trying to become a rock star).

Carla (my wife, who is also the most artistic person I've ever met) has been working on a fantasy novel for a few months now. She's up to somewhere around 300 pages so far, and it's really good.

My passion is theology and the historical roots of various theological positions. Unfortunately, I lack any credentials (such as having a Ph.D. or pastoring a large church) that would make anyone want to publish my theological views.

Carla has been encouraging me to try to write something (since I love to write), but I had no idea what. Then last week while walking the dog an idea popped into my head that is either brilliant or stupid--I haven't yet decided which. I am going to try to write a Science Fiction novel and incorporate theology into it. Sort of "Theological Sci-Fi". It just might work! The only qualification or credential one needs to write fiction is an imagination and the ability to write good..., I mean well.

I've been pouring through On Writing by Stephen King and Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott for guidance and inspiration. The tough part will be setting aside the time and having the discipline to bang out 300+ words per day. I don't know what negative affect this will have on my blogging, but I can assume it may. So if my blog posts are fewer and farther between, you'll know why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home