Friday, July 18, 2008

The Light


I try to sit in silent listening prayer every morning for 30 minutes. I have an alarm on my cellphone that lets me know when it's time to finish and head off to work. This morning as I sat, enveloped in peace and stillness, waiting and listening on God, I suddenly saw a bright light. It appeared in the middle of a thick darkness (my eyes were closed, after all). The light was intensely bright, white, focused and pure, yet not painful to look at. After a while, my "go to work" alarm went off. I opened my eyes and noticed a book that was sitting on the table next to me. It was A Testament of Devotion by Thomas R. Kelly. I opened it and this is what I read:

"The basic response of the soul to the Light is internal adoration and joy, thanksgiving and worship, self-surrender and listening. The secret places of the heart cease to be our noisy workshop. They become a holy sanctuary of adoration and of self-oblation, where we are kept in perfect peace, if our minds be stayed on Him who has found us in the inward springs of our life. And in brief intervals of overpowering visitation we are able to carry the sanctuary frame of mind out into the world, into its turmoil and its fitfulness, and in a hyperaesthesia of the soul, we see all mankind tinged with deeper shadows, and touched with Galilean glories. Powerfully are the springs of our will moved to an abandon of singing love toward God; powerfully are we moved to a new and overcoming love toward time-blinded men and all creation. In this Center of Creation all things are ours, and we are Christ's and Christ is God's. We are owned men, ready to run and not be weary and to walk and not faint."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home