Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Quakers and Sufis

"Move beyond any attachment to names.

Every war and every conflict between human beings
has happened because of some disagreement about names.

It’s such an unnecessary foolishness,
because just beyond the arguing
there’s a long table of companionship,
set and waiting for us to sit down.

What is praised is One,
so the praise is one too,
many jugs being poured into a huge basin.

All religions, all this singing, one song.
The differences are just illusion and vanity.

Sunlight looks slightly different on this wall
than it does on that wall
and a lot different on this other one,
but it is still one light.

We have borrowed these clothes,
these time-and-space personalities,
from a light,
and when we praise,
we pour them back in."

- Mevlana Jelaluddin Rumi, 13th century Sufi Poet

“There is a principle which is pure, placed in the human mind, which in different places and ages hath different names: it is, however, pure and proceeds from God. It is deep and inward, confined to no form of religion nor excluded from any, where the heart stands in perfect sincerity.” – John Woolman, 18th century Quaker preacher

“The humble, meek, merciful, just, pious, and devout souls are everywhere of one religion, and when death takes off the mask, they will know one another though the diverse liveries they wear here make them strangers.”
– William Penn, 17th century Quaker and founder of Pennsylvania


I am an autodidactic student of world religions. It interests me to learn how people in various times and places have dealt with the questions that seem to perpetually and univerally trouble mankind, such as: How do we explain evil and suffering? Why are we all painfully aware of our propensity to fall short of our own moral ideals? What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?

In the course of my studies, I've found intriguing parallels between Sufism and Quakerism. It strikes me that Sufis are to Islam what Quakers are to Christianity. Sufism and Quakerism are both based on the core idea that it is possible to directly and experientially encounter God. Both tend towards the inward and mystical. Both emphasize peace, equality, truth and simplicity. Both see God as loving, compassionate, merciful, gracious and present. Both are often viewed with suspicion or even contempt by guardians of "orthodoxy".

Of course, there are differences between Quakerism and Sufism as well. Each was born in a different place, time and culture and grew out of a different world religion.

Yet the affinities strike me as remarkable. I think it is a subject worthy of further investigation.

Some Muslims and observers see Sufism--or something like it--as the future of Islam. What if, likewise, Quakerism--or something like it--is the future of Christianity? Wouldn't it be interesting if Christianity and Islam, in the form of Quakerism and Sufism (or forms very similar) came to a point of seeing one-another as beloved siblings, travelling together on the same journey home?

I know I'm getting a bit pie-in-the-sky-I'd-like-to-teach-the-world-to-sing here but imagine the implications if, someday, two-thirds of the world's population--the Christians and Muslims--found common ground in the Living Presence of the God of Love? I imagine too that there are similar sects with similar values within Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. As someone once said, "It's like there are two layers to a religion. An outer (exoteric) layer, and an inner (esoteric) layer. The outer exoteric layer is the layer of the layman, the fundamentalist, the literal minded, the zealot, the man-on-the-street. The esoteric layer is the layer of the mystic." Mystics of various faiths seem to recognize one-another as kindred spirits.

What if the trajectory of mankind's history is towards unity within God's Presence? I find that narrative much more compelling--and indicative of the Father whom Jesus revealed--than the doom and gloom Armageddon narratives espoused by so many within both Christianity and Islam.

Is it possible for a Christian such as myself--who believes that Jesus is the Savior of the World--to entertain such ideas? Yes, as a matter of fact, it is.

10 Comments:

Blogger Brigid said...

Danny, good comments. I am post-Catholic, post-evangelical, post-pentecostal/charismatic, currently Angican and Quaker who occasionally visits a Vineyard church.

I have always had a strong interest in religions other than my own. Inherited from my father, I think. In mid-life I did a degree which includes a major in studies in religion and I have done some theological studies but failed to continue due to breast cancer.

I cut my teeth on modern Catholic mystics i.e. Thomas Merton and William Johnston and the people to whom they referred. There are times when one can find sound charismatic churches who touch on this sort of mysticism but it is rare and they don't usually have wider understanding to give a firm foundation. I found Quakers - but I don't understand what a neo-quaker might be.

I love the Tao te Ching. Taoist thoughts have impacted me a great deal. Similarly with Rumi. I sometimes attend the Remembrance of Rumi but missed it this year. There are formal classes here in Melbourne but I haven't done that either.

In recent years, my path has taken me into a spirituality based on God as Creator and Designer operating in an earthly creation.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Daniel P. (Danny) Coleman said...

Thanks for sharing, Miss Eagle! And thanks for visiting all the way from Melbourne.

I added the 'Neo' to 'Quaker' because I don't personally feel much connection to alot of the stodgy old Quaker baggage, such as the endless ruminating over the Hicksite/Gurneyite/Beanite splits. Also because, like you, I have incorporated other strands (such as Vineyard) into my Quakerism. I have also jettisoned certain doctrinal views (such as Dispensationalism, Eternal Conscious Torment, Condemnation of Homosexuals, Biblical Inerrency, etc.) which seem to make me not an Evangelical Quaker, yet I am a follower of Jesus and believe He is the Savior of the world, which seems to put me outside of the "Liberal" Quaker camp. So, "Neo-Quaker" isn't so much a group that I've joined but rather what I sometimes call myself, just because I'm not sure what else fits.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Karen O. said...

Intriguing ideas. Thanks for the post, Danny.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Brigid said...

Thanks for your reply, Danny. I guess I'm a neo-Quaker too. Fortunately, in the Land of Oz, those disputatious bits of Q history are absent. As for some of those historic pieces of Christian doctrine, a couple of them I have never heard of. Can't have set the world on fire as much as Jesus did, I'd say. In Australia, there is much to think about in relation to the state of the Christian church. I am oft reminded of the Biblical passage that speaks of strike the shepherd and the sheep will be scattered. I think it is a lot like that here.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anthony said...

Dear Danny, I have been interested in Sufism and Quakerism for over 20 years and am writing a pamphlet/booklet called "Becoming a Friend of God: the Path of Sufism and Quakerism." I see many affinities between these two mystical branches of their respective religions and I think Friends would benefit from a deeper study and involvement with Sufism, and vice versa. (Some of my best Friends are Sufis.) I also agree with you that Quakers need to get over their internal arguments and focus on connecting with the Living Presence, the Inward Light/Friend. You can read more at laquaker.blogspot.com or email me at interfaithquaker@aol.com. Yours in friendship and peace, Anthony

3:26 PM  
Blogger Tom Smith said...

If you haven't looked into Jainism, you might some parallels there as well. I guess I seem to be in the "Liberal" side since I do see "Christ" in various religions that don't use the "name." My personal identification is with Jesus and his "story" in the Gospels as the fullest and for me the foremost "embodiment of Christ."

4:54 PM  
Blogger Daniel P. (Danny) Coleman said...

Thanks for the info Anthony! I'll check out your blog and I look forward to reading your booklet when it's completed.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous mindful searcher said...

Thanks for the intriguing post. You've given me some food for thought and study.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Jamal London said...

I am from a Catholic heritage, with only my Irish grandparents, on my mother's side, with once a strong link to the Church. But I've always loved the mystics, and ended up attending sufi halaqas and becoming fluent in classical Arabic.
I read Merton as a young man, Rumi, Jami; and the Quakers were just a name- a good one(and I'm from England). But over the last few days I've found the works of Rufus Jones, or they have found me, waiting patiently. And now this beautiful article by Daniel Cole. I've translated it into Arabic, and sent it to my friends in war-torn countries like Syria and Yemen. Already, a friend in Sanaa, Yemen, has found the link between Quakers and Sufis uplifting on a day bombs fall from the sky.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great conversation here. Lately I’ve been fascinated by common threads found in classical psychology and mysticism. I feel once we really zoom out and see the whole, not just the parts, it’s the same theory and framework which evolved over thousands of years in the shadows of mainstream religious establishments. Khizr (patron saint of all seekers of mystical experiences) seems to be a central real and mythical figure who appeared to have transferred the secret knowledge of human psychology to various people across centuries. It’s the same framework for attaining liberation that is found in Vedanta, Sufism, Tantra, Kabbalah, Quakerism and Psychosynthesis... humans are conditioned to understand whole by understanding it’s parts... a useless exercise. We need to start with the whole and parts will make sense. Khizr could be the key. Look him up.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home